Maryland Attorney Provides Aggressive Representation in Criminal Cases
Skilled defense lawyer fights for clients’ futures
Whether you have been charged with a felony or misdemeanor offense, the negative consequences of a criminal conviction can last a lifetime. With your future at stake, you need a skilled defense attorney who knows how the criminal justice system works and can make the system work for you. At the Law Office of Daniel Wright, in Rockville, I have been fighting for clients throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia since 1992. You can count on me to build a powerful defense strategy and aggressively advocate for your rights. No matter what charges you face, I will work tirelessly to preserve your freedom by seeking the best possible outcome under the facts of your case.
Experienced criminal law attorney knows the justice system
It’s a simple fact: if you’re facing criminal charges, you must have strong legal representation. Without proper counsel, you risk unfavorable plea deals and unjust sentences. With extensive experience defending clients in Maryland and the District of Columbia, I understand the inner workings of the local criminal justice system. I know the judges, prosecutors and police officers who make up the system and I’m familiar with their tactics. I use this knowledge to defend clients against a wide variety of criminal offenses, including:
- Theft — Theft is the unauthorized taking of property and includes offenses such as larceny, embezzlement and shoplifting. Theft in Maryland can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor depending on the value of the property allegedly taken. I can help you avoid jail time by seeking dismissed or reduced charges on the basis of a legal defense such as innocent mistake, intoxication or entrapment.
- Drug crimes — Drug charges and the penalties they carry can be confusing, especially with recent changes in Maryland’s laws. You need to understand the charges against you and the potential penalties before pleading guilty or entering into a plea agreement. I can help protect your rights if you have been charged with drug possession, trafficking, manufacturing or cultivation.
- DUI/DWI — A conviction for driving under the influence or driving while impaired can impact both your life and your livelihood. I can help you stay out of jail and get back in the driver’s seat by fighting the reason why you were stopped or the accuracy of the breath test.
Regardless of the criminal charges you face, I will mount a strong defense in pursuit of the best possible outcome.
Aggressive defense for serious charges
When you are facing serious charges that could lead to significant jail time, you need an aggressive defense at every stage of the criminal process, from pre-arrest questioning through preliminary hearings and trial. I excel at negotiating with prosecutors to get charges reduced or dismissed in serious cases, including:
- Assault and battery — Maryland has different degrees of assault based on the type of harm involved, the identity of the victim and whether a weapon was used. But any conviction for assault can result in years of jail time. Potential defenses against assault charges I may be able to use include lack of intent, self-defense or defense of others.
- Sexual offenses — Sexual assault and rape charges face aggressive prosecution in Maryland, and convictions carry severe penalties, including mandatory minimum prison sentences in some cases and registration as a sex offender in all cases. An aggressive defense strategy is important to protect your freedom. I approach sex crime cases by looking for holes in the prosecutor’s case, such as exaggerated or false claims.
- White collar crimes — Penalties for white collar crimes such as securities fraud, money laundering and tax evasion vary greatly depending on whether they are being heard in state or federal court, as well as a number of other factors related to the nature and severity of the offense. I will aggressively pursue all opportunities to seek dismissed or reduced charges by challenging the evidence against you and presenting mitigating factors.
You can count on my determined effort to defend you against these and other charges at every stage of the legal process. If your case reaches the courtroom, you can rest assured knowing your attorney has been recognized as one of the state’s top litigators.
Contact a reputable Maryland criminal defense attorney
To have your case evaluated by an experienced criminal defense attorney, please call the Law Office of Daniel Wright at (301) 655-8130 or contact me online to schedule a consultation at my Rockville office.